Friday, July 27, 2007

Pearl Jams Their Fans



Three days before Pearl Jam is scheduled to headline Lollapalooza here in Chicago, they’re playing at the more intimate Vic Theater for $150 per ticket. Yeah, you read that correctly. $150. Per ticket. Pearl Jam is not the only guilty party……some venom should be directed at the Vic Theater and J Records (owned and operated by Sony) as well. But remember this is the same band that refused to tour back in 1995 as a protest to Ticketmaster’s involvement. A noble cause I guess, although back then tickets were only in the $35-40 range. But $150?! I’m sorry, that is just indefensible. So here’s what I propose: Do not go to this show……..unless you’re showing up just to mock then that’s excusable. Only so long as it’s well-quality mocking. If you’re thinking along the lines of yelling out “Show me the money!” during some soft song like “Black” just stay home. (However, yelling at Eddie whether the $150 is going towards Ralph Nader’s 2008 Presidential Campaign could work if done correctly).

While I still find it to be unfortunate, I think we’ve kind of grown to tolerate acts like the Rolling Stones and Bob Dylan charging well into triple digits to see them in concert for whatever reason. I wouldn’t pay that much but I find it understandable. However, Pearl Jam, you’re not the Rolling Stones and you ain’t Bob Dylan. You haven’t been around for forty plus years, you aren’t Hall of Fame inducted (not that I’m considering the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame to be some sort of measure of greatness but I think you know what I mean), and whether your music is something that will still be considered relevant twenty years from now remains to be seen. The chance to see acts like the Stones and Dylan won’t be around much longer. We can see you guys three days later at Lollapalooza where a single day ticket will be much cheaper than $150 and there will be plenty of other bands to see…….oh, and by the way, most of which are cooler than you are. (Perry Farrell’s Satellite Party is not one of them. I’m watching them right now on Leno and it’s not enjoyable. Oh, but wait, the Yeah Yeah Yeahs are playing simultaneously on Letterman. See, I told you! Much, much cooler).

What baffles me is the lack of outrage. I couldn’t find one article discussing this online. Nothing on RolllingStone’s site, nothing on mtv.com. I was anticipating a scathing article on Pitchfork but I guess they’re too busy giving Bjǿrn Torske’s latest album a rating of 7.9. (Yeah, I’m sure it’s awesome). The saddest part about all of this is that Pearl Jam has some of the most loyal fans out there. Many of these fans have been around since the Ten days when Pearl Jam instantly connected with the masses as fast as any band ever before. They deserve better than this. So shame on you Pearl Jam, $150 is nothing but ridiculous. And you know it.

9 comments:

Brian said...

Alex sucks. Pearl Jam aren't relevant today, and they shore as christ on the cross won't be relevant 20 years from now. Alex sucks. And know what I find disconcerting? That this "blog" knew my name. I'm going to heckle every single post you make.

Alex said...

Did Karen give you permission to write that?

lil' elF said...

I would pay $500 to see Yellow Ledbetter played 10 times in a row.

Jebus Cripes said...

Their last album sucked, too. It's the first album I've bought on MP3stor.com and felt I didn't get my money's worth.

Bret Bassi said...

I can't find the place in my brain that has a problem with Pearl Jam charging $150 for a show. I can see how it is contradictory to their previous statements about ticket prices. But hearts and minds change.....and checking accounts and quality of music.

If McDonald's quadrupled the price of their food, consumers would either keep eating it or not. No one forces them, it's a personal choice. People are going to go see Pearl Jam or not. Supply and demand. The market drives the price and if they are able to get $150 a ticket, why not? Don't we all want to get paid what the market dictates/tolerates or what is fair?

Alex said...

I completely agree with the market dictating the ticket price. But they packaged this as a favor to their fans, i.e. fan club members getting dibs on the tickets. Do you think the average Pearl Jam fan can easily shell out $150 for a ticket?

Jebus Cripes said...

If we are speaking of "market driven" prices, Pearl Jam complained of excessive fees that Ticketmaster charged for convenience charges for the events. How in the hell are we supposed to take them serious anymore? My guess is that Pearl Jam wasn't so much worried about their fans getting fleeced as much as money coming out of their own pockets.

Alex said...

Rudolph suggested picketing the event with a sign reading "Pearl Jam 1995: Fuck Ticketmaster. Pearl Jam 2007: Fuck You." I thought that was pretty good.

cooky-monster said...

I think I just fell in love with this Rudolph character.

 
eXTReMe Tracker